Friday, April 13, 2012

JJA Jazz Awards 2012 Nominees: Notes

The 2012 JJA Jazz Awards Nominees were announced recently. I've copied & pasted them below, with some wholly off-the-cuff and knee-jerk comments. My picks in bold, but what does that matter, as I'm not allowed to vote.


1) LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT IN JAZZ


Muhal Richard Abrams

Ron Carter

Wayne Shorter

Horace Silver


I'm guessing Wayne Shorter will win this, and it's not like he doesn't deserve it. I just happen to prefer Muhal Richard Abrams, but he's too much of a fringe artist for the majority, I think.


2) MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR


Ambrose Akinmusire

Vijay Iyer

Joe Lovano

Christian McBride

Sonny Rollins


I miss a whole bunch in this category, but the most obvious one is Craig Taborn, who was all over the spectrum, with great results, last year. Of the nominees, I'd pick Sonny.


3) COMPOSER/ARRANGER OF THE YEAR


John Hollenbeck

Guillermo Klein

Vince Mendoza

Maria Schneider


Hmm, hard one. I liked Kris Davis' arrangements on Tony Malaby's Novela, as well as Ben Allison's on his 2011 album. Still, Hollenbeck is a gifted arranger too.


4) UP AND COMING ARTIST OF THE YEAR


Chris Dingman

Tyshawn Sorey

Ben Williams

Warren Wolf


There's a wealth of talent around these days, my favorite being Darius Jones. He's been around a few years, though, but so has Tyshan Sorey, who'd be my pick of the above.


5) RECORD OF THE YEAR


James Farm (Nonesuch)

Keith Jarrett, Rio (ECM)

Christian McBride's Big Band, The Good Feeling (Mack Avenue Records)

Sonny Rollins, Road Shows, Vol. 2 (Doxy Records)

Wadada Leo Smith's Organic, Heart's Reflections (Cuneiform Records)

Craig Taborn, Avenging Angel (ECM)

Miguel Zenon, Alma Adentro – The Puerto Rican Songbook (Marsalis Music)


Naturally, I miss a host of nominees here: Avram Fefer, Darius Jones and Tony Malaby's efforts chief among them (See my favorites section or my 2011 Jazz Critics Poll ballot for more. Plus, does Keith Jarrett have to be nominated for an award every time he squeezes out a record? Oh, he does. Well, sorry then. I guess one wouldn't want angry Jarrett harassing you.) Of those nominated, I'd pick Wadada Leo Smith's (Disclaimer: I've not heard the McBride album yet).


6) BEST HISTORICAL OR BOXED SET


Miles Davis, Bootleg Sessions, Vol 1, Quintet Live in Europe 1967 (Columbia Legacy)

Julius Hemphill, Dogon A.D. (Mbira/Freedom-International Phonograph)

Bill Dixon, Intents and Purposes (RCA Victor-International Phonograph)

Roscoe Mitchell, Before There Was Sound (Nessa)

The Complete Jimmie Lunceford Decca Sessions (Mosaic)


I actually really enjoyed all of these, but Hemphill edges it for me.


7) LABEL OF THE YEAR


Clean Feed

ECM

Pi Records

Sunnyside Records


You know, I'm inclined to say Engine, a tiny label out of Chicago. Clean Feed is still releasing ace quality jazz albums, but have been stronger in previous years. ECM is, well, ECM, so I’m going with Pi here.


8) LARGE ENSEMBLE


John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble

Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra

Maria Schneider Orchestra

Mingus Big Band

Vanguard Jazz Orchestra


No strong preference here, really, 'though I would've like to see Captain Black's Big Band get a look in.


9) SMALL ENSEMBLE


James Farm

Jason Moran & Bandwagon

Joe Lovano Us Five

SFJazz Collective


James Farm is a super group of sorts, so I'd either put my money on them or Moran's group to win it. I have absolutely no preference among these, though. I wish Avram Fefer's Trio - with Eric Revis and Chad Taylor, by now a working group - was nominated. There's also the exciting Endangered Blood, as well as the great Mostly Other People Do the Killing, who toured and released a live album in 2011. So where does that leave us ...


10) MALE SINGER OF THE YEAR


Freddy Cole

Kurt Elling

Giacomo Gates

Gregory Porter


11) FEMALE SINGER OF THE YEAR


Karrin Allyson

Rene Marie

Gretchen Parlato

Tierney Sutton


I'm betting on Parlato to win this, but my fave female singers of 2011 was Andrea Wolper and Fay Victor, though the latter probable belongs in a separate category all together: ace performer of the year.


12) TRUMPETER OF THE YEAR


Ambrose Akinmusire

Tom Harrell

Brian Lynch

Wadada Leo Smith


You just know Akinmusire will win this, but I'm a Wadada fan myself.


13) TROMBONIST OF THE YEAR


Steve Davis

Robin Eubanks

Wycliffe Gordon

Steve Turre


14) MULTI-REEDS PLAYER OF THE YEAR


James Carter

Anat Cohen

Roscoe Mitchell

Ted Nash

Scott Robinson


15) ALTO SAXOPHONIST OF THE YEAR


Lee Konitz

Rudresh Mahanthappa

Phil Woods

Miguel Zenon


Darius Jones all the way for me, but he's not here, so I'll go with Mahanthappa, 'though he was arguably a greater presence in 2010 than in 2011.


16) TENOR SAXOPHONIST OF THE YEAR


J.D. Allen

Joe Lovano

Chris Potter

Sonny Rollins


As much as I love and worship Sonny Rollins, I'd love to see J.D. Allen get some plaudits, but I'm guessing Rollins or Lovano will win it.


17) BARITONE SAXOPHONIST OF THE YEAR


James Carter

Ronnie Cuber

Claire Daly

Gary Smulyan


18) SOPRANO SAXOPHONIST OF THE YEAR


Jane Ira Bloom

Dave Liebman

Branford Marsalis

Wayne Shorter


19) FLUTIST OF THE YEAR


Jamie Baum

Nicole Mitchell

Lew Tabackin


No preference. I should note that Henry Threadgill toured in 2011, so one wonders why he wasn't nominated. Would win it for me if he was.


20) CLARINETIST OF THE YEAR


Don Byron

Evan Christopher

Anat Cohen

Ken Peplowski


21) GUITARIST OF THE YEAR


Mary Halvorson

Bill Frisell

Pat Metheny

John Scofield


Halvorson for me. Frisell a close second.


22) PIANIST OF THE YEAR


Vijay Iyer

Keith Jarrett

Matthew Shipp

Craig Taborn


Close one, but Taborn appeared on several great albums in 2011, proving he's an innovative and interesting musician in several different settings, and I'd vote for him. Iyer has a new album out this year, and Shipp is still a major player who I follow with great interest.


23) KEYBOARDS PLAYER OF THE YEAR


Joey DeFrancesco

Larry Goldings

Mike LeDonne

Gary Versace


No preference.


24) BASSIST OF THE YEAR


Ben Allison

Ron Carter

Christian McBride

William Parker

Esperanza Spalding


William Parker is one of my favorite living musicians regardless of instrument, but I still miss several nominees in this category. Adam Lane did stellar work on Darius Jones' record, Eric Revis perhaps even more so with Avram Fefer. There was John Lindberg on Wadada Leo Smith's Heart's Reflection's and Trevor Dunn with Endangered Blood. Still, Parker's work with Taborn on the second Farmers By Nature album was stellar as always, as was his playing on Fay Victor & Other Dimensions In Music's Kaiso Stories and with David S. Ware on Planetary Unknown. Ben Allison is a great musician, arranger and composer, but he'd place below my nominees. I admire McBride greatly, and Ron Carter is a legend, but neither of those impressed my nearly as much in 2011 as my nominees.


25) VIOLINIST/VIOLIST/CELLIST OF THE YEAR


Billy Bang

Regina Carter

Mark Feldman

Jenny Scheinman


R.I.P. Billy Bang.


26) PERCUSSIONIST OF THE YEAR


Cyro Baptista

Hamid Drake

Sammy Figueroa

Marilyn Mazur

Adam Rudolph

Poncho Sanchez


27) MALLETS INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR


Gary Burton

Stefon Harris

Joe Locke

Warren Wolf


Uh, where's Chris Dingman?


28) TRAPS DRUMMER OF THE YEAR


Jack DeJohnette

Eric Harland

Roy Haynes

Paul Motian

Matt Wilson


You'd think Paul Motian would win this posthumously. Such is the way human nature works. Flabbergasted that neither Pheeroan akLaff (for his work on Wadada Leo Smith's Heart'sReflections. He was the heart, after all) nor Damien Reid for his work on Greg Ward's Phonic Juggernaut aren't nominated.


29) PLAYER OF INSTRUMENTS RARE IN JAZZ


Edmar Castaneda, harp

Gregoire Maret, harmonica

Toots Thielemans, harmonica

Gary Versace, accordion


Meh. 'Though, there's Jacob Sacks' work with harpsichord.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...