Tuesday, July 01, 2008

We're half way there, the jazz edition.

Since I'm currently out of any original ideas (though I plan on writing a few words on the new Ben Allison record) I thought I'd post my favorite jazz records (= records graded 7 or better) so far this year sans comments other than to note that there have been some very good but few great records so far, and that music from the Vision Festival (Campbell, Dixon) is represented on two records I like, 'tough I'm yet to hear the new William Parker, much praised by Tom Hull and Stef at Free Jazz, which was also recorded live at the Vision Fest. The stand-out album for me is Ben Allison's, with the Ali/Gayle/Parker record and Roy Campbell's close behind. Still waiting for the Parker record...

(alphabetically):
  • Ben Allison & Man Size Safe: Little Things run the World (Palmetto Records)
  • Atomic: Retrograde (Jazzland Rec.)
  • Rob Brown Ensemble: Crown Trunk Root Funk (AUM Fidelity)
  • By Any Means (Rashied Ali/Charles Gayle/William Parker): Live at Crescendo (Ayler Records)
  • Roy Campbell: Akhenaten Suite (AUM Fidelity)
  • Bill Dixon: 17 Musicians in Search of a Sound (Darfur) (AUM Fidelity)
  • Empty Cage Quartet: Stratostrophic (Clean Feed)
  • Fieldwork: Door (Pi Recordings)
  • Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet: Tabligh (Cuniform)
  • Vandermark 5: Beat Reader (Atavistic)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...