Monday, July 28, 2008

Favorites lists on blogs: Wha'ppen?


A few years ago, when I started this blog, the blogosphere was littered with top/favorites lists. Lately, though, they are few and far between. Le Matos has none on his blog anymore, Tom Hull has lists from previous years, but has not started one for 2008 ('though I understand he has had family issues to deal with), and S/FJ, who removed his lists earlier this year but set up a new one for 2008, has added some strange rants at the end of his list, the final words being " some other album, fuck do i care".

Maybe there was a backlash somewhere. Perhaps a reaction to the "end-of-year-lists-are-stupid" comments that come up every year. Is it for fear of not being taken seriosly? Has somebody been calling them nerds? Sure, lists tells you fuck-all about the qualities (or lack of) of the things you like, or put it another way, why you like/dislike the album or song in the way a good review can do. But, c'mon, aren't they taking it a bit too seriously? Lists don't come in the way of longform reviews, they're just supplements.

To me, the blog lists were the equivalent of a buddy saying to you in a bar "have you heard the new SO-AND-SO? I think it's great", to which I'd might answer "no, I'll better give it a try", or "yes and I didn't like it but maybe I should give it another chance" or whatever and then have another drink. Point is, they are just tips or hints. We can have a conversation about it after I heard the song or album or seen the movie (or if I've heard/seen the thing and have a strong enough opinion about it I'll most likely discuss it then and there, but you see my point, no?). Where are the blog lists? I promise I'll read your reviews too.

3 comments:

bradluen said...

Tom Hull 2008

Chris Monsen said...

Thanx for that, brad. Did the list just posted, 'cause I'm pretty sure there was no link/page yesterday?

Chris Monsen said...

Eh, should be "WAS the list just posted".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...