Friday, November 16, 2007

Duke Ellington - Afro-Eurasian Eclipse

Duke Ellington - "Chinoiserie" from Afro-Eurasian Eclipse (Fantasy, 1971)



Duke Ellington, via Marshall McLuhan:

"(...) the whole world is going oriental, (...) no one will be able to retain his or her identity".

For "oriental" insert "miscegenated", if you will. Judging by the recent discussions concerning indie, it didn't quite work out that way, did it?

Last Friday I sat down to write what I had hoped would be my final thoughts on the subject, but computers being the mischievous things that they are, this one decided to delete the whole thing, and stupid me had made no back up of the piece. Infuriated, as you may expect, I let it be. But I still have a few more thoughts I'd like to jot down - among other things the problem of defining indie or any genre for that matter - and will hopefully do so in the next few days. In the meantime, enjoy the fabulous piece of "oriental" music posted above, and note in particular the kicking tenor solo by Harold Ashby.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...