Saturday, April 21, 2007

Andrew Hill R.I.P.



I just heard the sad news that Andrew Hill passed away yesterday, April 20th 2007, after having lost his battle with lung cancer. Hill is one of my favorite post-Monk pianist/composers, and has been creating and playing great music right up to his death. Tom Hull has a few words here, to which I will only add that I think I hold Point of Departure in higher esteem than mr. Hull does, and that in addition to the albums he lists, Lift Every Voice from 1969 is also worth seeking out. WKCR will have special broadcasts in memory of Andrew Hill this coming Monday and Tuesday.

* In case you're wondering, the line-up on that track is Hill (piano), Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Eric Dolphy (bass clarinet), Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone), Richard Davis (bass), and Tony Williams (drums).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...