Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Jackin' Pop 2006 results


Wow that was fast, especially since the votes were due just before Christmas. But I guess they had to get it out as quickly as possible if they were to compete in any way with Village Voice's Pazz & Jop.

I'm still a bit surprised by the consensus over TV on the Radio's latest as the best album of 2006. It seems to have grown on a lot of people during the year, but I hasn't grown on mean me. I like it somewhat, but for all it's supposed smartness, I think it sounds more intelligent than it is. But we can't agree on everything.

Happy to see Ornette Coleman's Sound Grammar finish quite strongly, for a new jazz album, at no. 45. Also glad to see The Thermals' record at 27, another one that has seemingly been attracting more interest during the last few months, no doubt helped by their excellent live shows. Their record is proof, to me at least, that a seemingly direct approach can easily be combined with intelligence, even in 2006.

Special mention to Marit Larsen, whose Under the Surface clocked in at no. 113 above the likes of Guillemots, who received much love by the Norwegian press, and Bonnie "Prince" Billie, whose self-pity seemed to have lessened somewhat last year. Still don't like his yelps, tho'.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...