Monday, October 02, 2006

Regrets, I have a few... + Fucking Free Jazz!

Regrets

I re-read my Hold Steady-post below, and I must admit I’m not wholly satisfied with it, which is to be expected since I wrote and published it on the go. I’m not happy with the structure, and the initial assessment needs to be clarified. It also doesn’t say that unlike Separation Sunday, which happens to be one of my favourite records of the 2000’s, it stumbles on a couple of occasions, though its highs are as good as its predecessor’s, and it is still a damn good record. I also regret not writing more about Craig Finn’s lyrics and his delivery of them, since it’s an integral part of why I’ve been so taken by their records.

However, I won’t edit or delete the thing, partly because I don't have much time, partly because it does say that I think it’s a damn good record, and also because I think the final part of the post is pretty good.

Fucking Free Jazz!

I'm familiar with Jimmy Lyons' work with Cecil Taylor, but I don't know too much about his solo work. After reading a recent post on Destination Out!, I think I've been missing out. A qoute to illustrate:

I used to dismiss Free Jazz because it wasn’t sexy. I mean, when’s the last time you put on some free jazz to get sexed up and busy fucking? It practically feels like heresy to even write “free jazz” and “fucking” in the same sentence. Why is that?

Gotta love it. Continue reading here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...