Sunday, May 14, 2006

Is you is or is you ain't a racist/rockist

I'm very busy these days, so I don't have time to pitch in with my view on whether Stephen Merrit is a racist or not for not liking rap. (But I may have a say soon).

Nor do I have any time to comment on the ever-returning theme of rockism v. popism, other than to say that this article by Jody Rosen is one of the more insightful views on the topic I've read.

And speaking of rockism, Scott Walker is a rockist hero, his new album receiving praise from all over the place. Except for Mike Powell here. Thing is, Scott Walker looks cool, he wears sunglasses, sings in a deep voice, and surrounds himself with an aura of mystique. As well as he writes (most of) his own songs. For some critics, this seems to be enogh to signify that he is more eh...valuable than, say, Frank Sinatra. Old Blue Eyes rarely shunned the limelight, nor did he write his own songs, but I'll play "Strangers in the Night" over most of Scott Walker's output anytime.

2 comments:

jonas said...

stephin merritt did a whole zip-a-dee-doo-dah-a-thon on WFMU in honor of the debate he sparked.

by the way, chris, be careful with your posting, with sinatra, phoenix and dixie chicks you seem to be on your way down racist street.

Chris Monsen said...

Yeah, dangerous thing this blogging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...